Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Second Opinion: The Pacman Jones file

I haven't been around much to put my thoughts in order, but I found myself with some free time and a burning thought in the back of my brain: The ridiculous terms of the trade that sent Adam "Pacman" Jones to the Dallas Cowboys. For those of you who may not be familiar with the trade, The Dallas COwboys sent a fifth round draft pick to the Titans for Pacman, who is still under suspension from the league for his involvement in a strip club altercation. Under the terms of teh agreement, should the NFL refuse his appeal for reinstatement, the Titans would have to send their fifth round pick to the Cowboys, who will retain Pacman Jones. This is absurd. My opinion is, if you trade for a player when you are fully aware that there are extenuating circumstances which might prevent him from playing, you take that risk and shouldn't be shocked if it doesn't work out. What would happen if Pacman is not reinstated by the league this year, but is then allowed back in the league in 2009? As far as I can tell, the Cowboys would make out like gangbusters. They wouldn't have given up a thing. While it's unfortunate that the Cowboys have their hands tied behind their backs in this situation, nobody put a gun to their head to make this trade. I can't believe that the league gave the green light to it.

No comments: